November - December 1999
– in Baku the Institute and the OSCE ODIHR conducted a joint workshop on the register of the population in the Azerbaijan Republic with the aim to promote establishment of the registration system that complies with international standards on freedom of residence, to train officials to develop and introduce new laws on this problem and to inform the community about these laws;
– the Institute became one of the organizers of the seminar dedicated to the establishment of the National Institute of Human Rights in Azerbaijan, which was conducted jointly with the Executive Office of Azerbaijan President and Azerbaijan Ministry of Justice in cooperation with the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and CE Directorate General for Human Rights. The objective of this seminar was to exchange opinions on the requirements to National Institutes of Human Rights, and to establish an effective and independent national institution promoting the implementation of human rights and fundamental freedoms;
– seminar “Municipal elections: theory and practice” was conducted in Nizami district of Baku. The objective of this project was to train organizers of the municipal elections of the district level and to clarify authority, role and rights of the members of the territorial polls;
– scientific-practical conference “Results and prospects of Istanbul Summit” was conducted in Garadaq district of Baku.
– seminar “European Convention on Human Rights: tools and ways of new democratic thinking” was conducted in Baku. The seminar was carried out by the Institute jointly with the CE Directorate General for Human Rights and with the support of the Open Society Institute – Assistance Foundation;
– in Baku jointly with the Azerbaijan Institute of State Building and International Relations the conference "Azerbaijan in European space: Ombudsman Institution" was held;
– in Baku within the framework of the CE program "Police and Human Rights" jointly with the CE Directorate General for Human Rights theseminar "Ethical standards of conduct for police officers" was held. The seminar was organized for police officers;
– jointly with the CE Directorate General for Human Rights the seminar "Ombudsman Institution in Azerbaijan" was held. The seminar focused on main provisions of the draft on the establishment and development of the Ombudsman Institution worked out at the Institute of Human Rights.
– jointly with the Ministry of Justice of the Azerbaijan Republic and the CE Directorate General for Human Rights in Baku strict regime colony № 11 a two-day workshop "For society without torture: requirements of the European Convention on Human Rights" was conducted. The seminar was attended by CE experts, head and staff of OSCE Office in Baku, delegations of the legal committee of the Council of Europe and UNO visiting Baku during the seminar, representatives of human rights NGOs in Azerbaijan as well as representatives of both state and independent mass media. The first day of the workshop was held for the prisoners and the second day for administration officials of the penitentiary institutions;
– Milli Majlis (Parliament) of the Azerbaijan Republic and UNDP conducted a joint scientific-practical workshop "Ombudsman Institution in the Azerbaijan Republic";
– jointly with the OSCE Office in Baku the official statement in connection with the International Day against tortures was adopted and distributed;
- jointly with the CE Directorate General for Human Rights and the General Prosecutor's Office of the Republic Baku hosted a two-day workshop "Application of the European Convention on Human Rights in the work of the Public Prosecutor's Office";
– jointly with the Presidium of ANAS a scientific-practical conference "Azerbaijan in fight against international terrorism" was held. The Institute presented the facts in the context of the program "Terrorism as part of the state policy of the Republic of Armenia" – "Armenian terrorism and civil aviation";
– jointly with the American Bar Association and Law Faculty of Baku State University the conference "Protection of the accused persons with mental abnormalities and challenges to improve the primary investigation" was held;
– jointly with OSCE ODIHR and Ministry of Justice of the Azerbaijan Republic in Baku strict regime colony №2 the seminar "For society without tortures!" was held. ODIHR Director Ambassador Gerard Stoudmann, ODIHR experts, head and staff of OSCE Office in Baku, representatives of human rights NGOs in Azerbaijan and representatives of both state and independent mass media attended the seminar. The seminar was held for detainees and administration officials of penitentiary institutions;
– jointly with the Ministry of Taxes of the Azerbaijan Republic and OSCE Office in Baku the conference "Tax Reforms: Towards a Civil Society" was held.
– the Institute held a meeting with Mustafa Evran, the Azerbaijani representative of the unrecognized "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus" (TRNC);
– jointly with OSCE ODIHR and Ministry of Justice of the Azerbaijan Republic Baku women's colony №4 organized a seminar on ensuring the rights of prisoners under the project "For society without tortures!";
– in Guba the seminar dedicated to the World Day against Tortures organized by the Institute jointly with the Council of Europe was held.
– jointly with NATO the international conference "International terrorism - threat to human rights" was held;
– jointly with "Gafgaz" University and the State Commission of the Azerbaijan Republic on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing People the international conference "International Armenian terrorism – threat to human rights" was held. Azerbaijani scholars along with well-known Turkish scholars took part in the Conference;
– a two-day seminar on "Human rights, rule of law and the police" organized jointly with the Council of Europe was held;
– on the initiative of the Institute and the Ataturk Center in Azerbaijan the first sitting of the permanent conference "Azerbaijan Statehood: sequential development" was held;
– conference on "Mir Movsumzadeh Agha Seyid Ali. Phenomenon of individual" was held.
– jointly with the Azerbaijan Trade Unions Confederation the conference "Human rights and trade union movement in Azerbaijan" was held;
– jointly with the Baku Revival Union "Memorial Day" dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attack in Baku Metro was held;
– round table on the 60th anniversary of deportation of Crimean Tatars by the Soviet regime was conducted;
– round table on "Right of the inviolability of places of worship" was conducted;
– within "NATO Week in Azerbaijan" the seminar "Possible scientific responses to threats of North Atlantic security" was held;
– round table on "The Azerbaijani society against the participation of officers of the Armenian armed forces in military exercises held in Baku by the NATO program “Partnership for Peace”" was held.
– jointly with the State Commission of the Azerbaijan Republic on POWs, Hostages and Missing People a round table on the 15th anniversary of the tragic events of January 20, 1990 was held which made a joint statement on legal assessment of this crime against civilians;
– Presidium of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences held a round table on the anniversary of the tragedy of the Azerbaijani people in Khojaly on February 26, 1992. The sitting adopted an appeal with a legal assessment of the tragic events in Khojaly on February 26, 1992;
– the enlarged sitting of the Scientific Council of IHR on the presentation of the International Scientific Council was held. The event was conducted with the participation of the press, human rights activists and public figures;
– presentation of the book of IHR employee Araz Gurbanov "Tales of Armenian “wise men”" was made. The book is a response to false writings of Armenian historians. Representatives of the press and public figures attended the presentation;
– meeting with the famous Russian politician, leader of the Russian Democratic Party Irina Hakamada. At the meeting the political events of recent years and relations between Azerbaijan and Russia were discussed. There were discussions and exchange of opinions;
– scientific conference "Yerevan – the beginning of shameful compromises" was held. The conference was dedicated to the Azerbaijan’s transfer of the ancient Azerbaijani city of Yerevan to Armenia. This event took place in 1918. Reports on it were made at the conference. The transfer of the Azerbaijani city of Yerevan to Armenia was legally assessed. At the conference it was decided to launch a broad discussion of this issue among the public of the Republic. Media representatives, scholars and public figures attended the presentation;
– meeting with the famous Austrian scientist-historian Erich Feigl. Erich Feigl made a large report at the meeting where he exposed Armenian pseudo-scientists who had invented the history of Armenia. The guests present at the meeting also acquainted with the slides. Representatives of the press, academics and public figures attended the presentation.
– memorial conference of those killed in Khojaly and refugee issues;
– round table on the genocide of Mountain Jews committed by Armenian gangs in Azerbaijan in 1918-1919;
– conference "Role of Diaspora in relations between Russia and Azerbaijan" conducted by the Institute jointly with the Russian Center for International Scientific and Cultural Cooperation under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the State Committee on Affairs with the Diaspora of the Azerbaijan Republic;
– conference "Separatism and the Caucasus without separatism" with the participation of scholars and public figures of Azerbaijan, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine and Turkey. For the first time the scientific community in the South Caucasus discussed Armenian separatism as the main threat to peace and stability in the region;
– conference "Role of Heydar Aliyev in strengthening and development of statehood of Azerbaijan and Georgia" with the participation of Azerbaijani and Georgian scholars.
– memorial conference on those killed in Khojaly and refugee issues;
– International conference "International terrorism as threat to human rights" with the participation of members of the IHR Expert Council, Deputy Chairman of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, member of the monitoring committee Edward Luther and CE expert, former prime minister of GDR Werner Münch;
– Conference "Democratization of the region and ensuring human rights as a factor of regional security" with the participation of the Institute Expert Council, as well as non-governmental organizations on issues of refugees and internally displaced persons;
– International Scientific Conference "Tolerance in the South Caucasus in the context of fraternal relations of Azerbaijani, Georgian and Jewish peoples" held by IHR jointly with "Azerbaijan-Israel" Association with the participation of prominent scholars, politicians and diplomats of Azerbaijan, Georgia, Israel;
– Conference "Problems of forecasting political strategies by geopolitical centers and international institutions in conflict zones" with the participation of famous scholars of Azerbaijan and Georgia;
– Conference "Role of international organizations and coalitions in fight against international terrorism" with the participation of scholars from Azerbaijan and the delegation from China headed by Professor of the Chinese Academy of Contemporary International Relations V. Liszun.
– memorial conference of those killed in Khojaly and refugee issues;
– scientific conference "Azerbaijan oil strategy and expansion of democratic zone in the South Caucasus" with the participation of members of the IHR Expert Council, as well as public and political figures of Georgia and Azerbaijan.
– sitting of the Expert Commission of the International Scientific Council of IHR on participation of the citizens living abroad in the elections of the Azerbaijan President;
– sitting of the Expert Committee on migration, migration processes in Azerbaijan and protection of migrants’ rights;
– sitting of the Expert Commission on the participation of the invalids and persons with physical disabilities in the presidential elections;
– "Sari Gelin" CD presentation released jointly with the IHR, the State Committee on Affairs with the Diaspora and TRT Turkish TV channel in order to protect the copyright of intellectual property of the Azerbaijani people;
– scientific conference "The Armenianism: myth and reality" jointly with State Commission on prisoners of war and hostages;
– symposium "National statehood: cognition of ourselves and world" with the participation of well-known scholars from Azerbaijan, Georgia and Russia;
– international conference "Globalization calls: processes of international energy security and democratization" with the participation of public figures and scholars from Azerbaijan, Russia, and Turkey;
– Conference "Determination of possible forms of dialogue among civilizations" dedicated to peaceful settlement of the problems of the Caspian region and South Caucasus countries with the participation of scholars from Azerbaijan, Georgia and Russia.
– "The Armenianism: myth and reality" jointly with the State Commission on POWs, Hostages and Missing People;
– "Heydar Aliyev: Phenomenon of personality" scientific and practical conference with the participation of Milli Majlis deputies, government agencies, academic and public figures of the Republic;
– scientific and practical conference "National security and freedom of religion";
– scientific and practical conference "Right to silence";
– round table "Double standards and rights of refugees and internally displaced persons in international organizations";
– conference "Phenomenon of personality – 160th birth anniversary of Musa Nagiyev";
– "Secrets of history of fraud" book presentation.
– scientific and practical conference "National security and freedom of religion";
– discussion of the 1999 Law "On food" jointly with the staff representative of Azerbaijan Unit of UNESCO Chair in Bioethics;
– round table on "Legal problems of refugees, stateless persons and asylum seekers" held jointly with the Azerbaijan Lawyers Confederation and the UN Commissariat for Refugees;
– international symposium "Implementation of UNESCO Bioethics program in Azerbaijan" jointly with the UNESCO National Commission in Azerbaijan with the participation of the Head of the UNESCO Chair on Bioethics.
– jointly with the Azerbaijani Bureau of the International Network of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethicsand Open Public Institute, a scientific-practical conference "Palliative care program in Azerbaijan and bioethics basic principles" was held with the participation of American experts, MPs, leadership of ANAS and leading national experts;
– UNESCO National Commission in the Azerbaijan Republic and Azerbaijan Bureau of the UNESCO Bioethics Chair made a joint presentation of the book "Bioethics: documents ... terms ...";
– scientific-practical conference "Armenian genocide against the Azerbaijanis in 1918-1920 in the documents of the Extraordinary Commission of Inquiry"attended by the executives of the State Archive of the President of Azerbaijan, representatives of the Cabinet of Ministers, MPs, academics;
– jointly with the public association "Modern development", Azerbaijan Association of Women Journalists, founders of the Circle of Support and Education for Georgia's youth, with the informational support of "Trend" agency the conference "Caucasian House and Armenians" was held;
– scientific and practical conference on the 88th birth anniversary of the nationwide leader Heydar Aliyev and 93rd anniversary of the establishment of ADR "Role of personality of Heydar Aliyev and ADR in the history of Azerbaijani statehood";
– meeting with a delegation of scholars from the Scientific Research Institute of Contemporary International Relations of the People's Republic of China consisting of the Deputy Director Dee Chi-E, academic staff of the department on work with the CIS countries Wang Chung and Shang Ye;
– on the initiative of UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador, President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva Baku hosted the 18th session of the International Committee on UNESCO Bioethics in the organization of which the Institute took a very active part. As part of this event the meetings of the leadership of UNESCO and the Institute of Human Rights with the President of Azerbaijan Academy of Sciences acad. Kerimov M. and Minister of Education Professor Mardanov M. were organized.
– in course of the 18th session of the International Committee on UNESCO Bioethics the Institute held a workshop "Methods and methodology of bioethics study";
– scientific and practical conference "Actual problems of religion and public safety" with the participation of Milli Majlis deputies, relevant ministries and committees, international organizations, academics and mass media;
– International Scientific Conference and seminar "Human right to health: legal and ethical issues of health care service" dedicated to the 20th anniversary of state independence of Azerbaijan attended by member of the World Association for Medical Law, Professor of "Health care systems and their management" Department of Global Public Health care service Faculty at the University of North Carolina, USA, Professor of Law Dean Harris, Milli Majlis deputies, academics of the Academy of Sciences, Ministry of Health, universities, experts in law, medicine and mass media;
– jointly with the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) and the Baku office of OSCE the international conference and workshop on "Strengthening the legal profession and improving access to justice" to mark the 20th anniversary of the state independence of Azerbaijan.